Saturday, November 28, 2015

Blog: Why do you never see gasoline taxes itemized on your receipt?


In April 2014, I suddenly realized that when you buy gasoline, the receipt does not list all the different taxes you have to pay. 
So I emailed the Illinois Policy Institute (https://www.illinoispolicy.org) and asked them to make up a facsimile of a gas receipt. 
Here's what they came up with, and they featured it in a story on their website. 

http://www.americanthinker.com/images/bucket/2015-11/195662_5_.png

Turns out a gallon of gas in Chicago has eight taxes on it.  In Park Ridge adds two cents more.  (I think today they are higher.) 
I went to a neighborhood gas station – the owner was a nice guy.  I asked him if people get angry with him when gasoline goes up in price.
He said of course they do.  I said, "Why don't you put a sign in your window, listing all the taxes they customers are paying on a gallon of gas?"
He said, "That's illegal in Illinois.  I would get fined and could lose my gas station!"

No comments:

Post a Comment