Monday, July 14, 2014

elf-defense clears 89-year old WWII Vet in Wake Forest NC shooting death

http://www.wral.com/self-defense-clears-man-in-wake-forest-shooting-death/13
808603/


Wake Forest, N.C. - When Calvin Anderson Ray looked through his peephole and
saw Jeffrey Baylon Mitchell on the other end, Ray said he knew it was
trouble.

"So I went back and got my gun," he said. "And came back up here. Next thing
I knew he backed back and kicked the door open, broke all that, and said
'I'ma get you.' So I let him have it and I shot him."

Ray, 89, said he shot and killed Mitchell, 47, Saturday evening in
self-defense.

Investigators found Mitchell dead on the front porch of Ray's Jordan Lane
home.

Sitting on the front porch Sunday while friends and family repaired the
broken door, Ray, a World War II veteran, said he was taken into custody but
later released because he was defending himself.

Capt. James Stevens with the Wake County Sheriff's Office would only say
Sunday that there was no additional information and the investigation is
ongoing.

Mitchell, who lived in a nearby property owned by Ray, was upset about a
broken air conditioning unit, Ray said.

"He'd threatened to kill me two or three other times over the last 12
months," he said. "So I wasn't taking any chances of him killing me after
busting my door open and coming in on me."

The two men had a history of arguing, said Ellen Newton, Ray's employee and
Mitchell's ex-girlfriend.

"Calvin's had problems with him off and on, coming up here hollering and
screaming at him about stuff," she said.

Mitchell contacted Ray on Friday to complain about the air conditioning
unit, Newton said. A repair man serviced the unit on Saturday, but Mitchell
said it was still broken, Newton said. The repair man returned to Mitchell's
home but left after he and Mitchell got into an argument, Newton said.

Mitchell then went to Ray's home, Newton said.

Scott Mitchell, Jeffrey Mitchell's brother, said Sunday that Ray should be
charged with a crime and that his brother should not have been killed for
kicking in a door.

"He knew my brother would never lay a hand on him," said Scott Mitchell, who
added that his brother and Ray used to be friends. "My brother was a
hot-headed person. All my brother wanted was to get that air conditioner
fixed so he and his son didn't have to sleep in a hot house. My brother
would never lay a hand on him ever. If there is one thing my brother loved
more than anything it was his son. He'd never do anything to leave that boy
in this world with just his mama."


Read more at
http://www.wral.com/self-defense-clears-man-in-wake-forest-shooting-death/13
808603/#JuZ60hf1EfHHhc8k.99


By Epictetus

No comments:

Post a Comment